Tony Hawk Foundation
The principal focus of the Tony Hawk Foundation is to encourage and facilitate the design, development, construction and operation of new, quality skateboard parks and facilities in low-income communities throughout the United States. The Foundation provides support to parks that are designed and built by qualified and experienced contractors, include local skaters in the design process, and demonstrate a strong grassroots commitment to the project. Also, parks that have a creative mix of obstacles and terrain, don't over-regulate or restrict access to the park, don't charge money, and are in areas that currently have no skateboarding facilities are preferred. Nonprofit organizations and government agencies, including public schools, are eligible to apply. Applications deadlines are March 1, June 1, September 1, and December 1, annually.
FEMA Mitigation Grants

FEMA offers several grant programs to implement hazard mitigation projects at the local level. These funds can be used for a variety of projects that will assist in lessening and/or preventing the effects of future hazards. Examples of projects may include, but are not limited to, retrofitting existing buildings to withstand potential hazards, flood barriers, generator connections for critical facilities, and warning systems. Federal mitigation funds may be available to finance up to 75 percent of the total project costs with the remaining 25 percent requiring non-federal funds.

A prerequisite for all eligible applicants is that they must have a Federal Emergency Management Agency approved hazard mitigation plan prior to receipt of any federal mitigation funds.

Municipalities that do not have approved hazard mitigation plans have two options. One, municipalities may sign on to an existing regional or county hazard mitigation plan. Two, local jurisdictions may develop their own hazard mitigation plans. Regardless of method, SCEMD encourages any municipality that does not currently have a hazard mitigation plan to contact the State Hazard Mitigation Officer to discuss which option would best suit their needs in becoming eligible for federal mitigation funds.

Melissa Potter, State Hazard Mitigation Officer, may be contacted at: 803.737.8856 or via email:, subject: FEMA Mitigation Grants.


The State Drinking Water Revolving Fund

The Fund offers long-term, low-interest loans to construct public drinking water facilities to achieve or maintain compliance with the Safe Drinking Water Act. It is jointly administered by Department of Health and Environmental Control and the State Budget and Control Board.

Approximately $42 million is available for FY 2015, and interest rates range from 1.0 - 2.2 percent. More information

The State Water Pollution Control Revolving Fund

The Fund offers long-term, low-interest loans to construct public wastewater facilities. It is jointly administered by Department of Health and Environmental Control and the State Budget and Control Board.

For FY 2015, more than $200 million is available at interest rates ranging from 1.0 - 2.0 percent. 

More information

National Clean Diesel Funding Assistance Program
The National Clean Diesel Funding Assistance Program provides funding to reduce emissions from existing diesel engines through a variety of strategies, including but not limited to: add-on emission control retrofit technologies; idle reduction technologies; cleaner fuel use; engine repowers; engine upgrades; and/or vehicle or equipment replacement; and the creation of innovative finance programs to fund diesel emissions reduction projects. Under this grant program, funding is restricted to the use of EPA and California Air Resources Board (CARB) verified and certified diesel emission reduction technologies.

More information

USDA Community Facilities Loan and Grant

Community Programs, a division of the Housing and Community Facilities Programs, is part of the United States Department of Agriculture's Rural Development mission area. Community Programs administers programs designed to develop essential community facilities for public use in rural areas.

These facilities include schools, libraries, childcare, hospitals, medical clinics, assisted living facilities, fire and rescue stations, police stations, community centers, public buildings and transportation.

More information

Deadline: Applications accepted on an ongoing basis.